Let me tell you about an innovative website called Intern Sushi (<—Click Here).
Archive for the ‘Opinion’ Category
Yes, its that time of the year again. Time for another installment of the Top Baby Making Music, just in time for Valentine’s Day. From the viewership stats on my first one, it appears people have been using my last list a lot . Welp, enjoy Part 2 and whatever follows your VDay…
1. Practice: Drake…from the video below, I think Drake agrees with this song being on this list. Peep the last 45 seconds.
10. I Get Lonely Too (Remix): Drake feat. Jeremih … Jeremih is a beast with these remixes
13. Wet The Bed: Chris Brown feat Ludacris…favorite of the bunch
For my West Indians and those who appreciate reggae:
Everybody Falls In Love Sometimes: Tanto Metro and Devonte
Happy Valentine’s Day!!!
Not only do I watch a lot of TV but I also watch a lot of movies. And like my TV show selections, my movie selections are vast and varying. Below is my Top Ten Favorite Movies list with added honorable mentions. I’ve also added my favorite quotes from each movie so enjoy.
Are you not entertained?! Is this not why you are here?!
Men are haunted by the vastness of eternity. And so we ask ourselves: will our actions echo across the centuries? Will strangers hear our names long after we are gone, and wonder who we were, how bravely we fought, how fiercely we loved?
Not gonna lie, the first two movies on this list convinced me to become a Classical Studies major.
3. Girl, Interrupted
Razors pain you, rivers are damp, acid stains you, drugs cause cramps, gun aren’t lawful, nooses give, gas smells awful, you might as well live.
Angelina Jolie became my favorite actress after this movie.
4. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
For what it’s worth: it’s never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.
And Brad Pitt is my favorite actor.
5. King Arthur
There is no worse death than the end of hope.
The only movie I have watched more than 10 times. I’m currently switching up the language when I watch it so I can learn a new language.
Some folks has a lot of things around them that shines for other peoples. I think that maybe some of them was in tunnels. And in that tunnel, the only light they had, was inside of them. And then long after they escape that tunnel, they still be shining for everybody else.
Looks like you got the juice now.
8. The Princess Bride
There’s a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a pity to damage yours.
9. Slumdog Millionaire
Money and women are the reasons for most mistakes in life.
10. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Some things aren’t meant to be changed. You need to accept that.
Turn to the penguin next to you. Put your flippers up. Fluff him up a little bit. And give him a great big hug. Okay ladies. Oh, make that little noise again girl.
I usually don’t choose to watch children films but I can’t even front like I didn’t enjoy this one.
You know what I think? I think there’s a reason for everything. And I think that there’s a plan for everyone. And I think that God has a big plan for me. Just not in this life.
This movie was very close to making the list but I couldn’t do without the other ones. But it’s Angelina again. Enough said.
For all the people who thought I blocked them on Facebook, I didn’t. I deactivated it. If I didn’t tell you personally, no offense but you were not on my list of people to inform which only came to about seven people. After realizing that Facebook made it easier to talk to people other than to their face I decided to quit the Book for Winter Break. The result…a clearer mind.
I called my friends on the phone way more than I would have if I still had Facebook, returning to the old fashion ways of communication. I did not use Skype either but I did use my Twitter to speak my mind/thoughts. However, my blog’s stats for views per day did suffered, due to the lack of using Facebook as a promotional tool. Twitter could not compare when it came to showing/promoting links because people only really use Twitter to speak their minds and/or tell the world their every move, unlike Facebook which is commonly used to ‘stalk’ friends, foes, and potentials. No one really follows/reads the tweets of everyday, normal people.
The first thought of deactivation came when I realized that one of my friends was quite different in person than on Facebook. We could hold a conversation on Facebook, where we mostly talked, but when we hung out, it was just plain awkward. Questioning ourselves, “Why were we friends again?” I found myself following the same pattern with other people who were quite Facebook chat friendly and totally different in person, and a few vice versa. People need to step out from behind the Facebook, internet, tinted windowed screen and be real. Yeah, I just said that. What you get in person is the same Chloe you get in this blog and on Facebook.
In the beginning it was tough to stay away, especially since my computer automatically went to the sign in page, but once I went to Florida to embark on my second training trip for college swimming, I didn’t miss it or felt like I was missing out. Everyone was at home so it wasn’t like I was missing out on a big event happening at school. During my hiatus from the Book, I got back to writing poetry. Without being captivated by the ever changing news feed, I was able to sit and think of metaphors and different styles to write in. Clearer mind to think, untainted by the opinions and thoughts of my peers.
Really, what is the purpose of Facebook? I find myself asking that question as I prepare to reactivate my account for the Spring Semester. I could go without it if groups didn’t only post events and parties on Facebook. Well, I guess I just answered my question. Its social media used for promotions, hence I’m reactivating it to get my blog stats back up, to share links, and to know about events happening on campus. But also it can be different things to different people. What are your reasons for having Facebook?
I love being on airplanes.
In the air, looking down at the world.
Watching people scurry around like little ants in a colony.
Yes, tiny ants working and living together in perfect harmony.
The only worry they have is if they’re going to be washed away from the rain or is some little kid going to come by to play knock down the ant hill. But as the airplane begins to land, I come back to the realization that,
A Fucked Up Place.
I say that because it punishes people for things they cannot control. Like let me apologizing that I’m blinking as I speak to you. I’m mad at the fact that the words ‘racism’ and ‘discrimination’ exist; basically saying to hate someone from birth like they were the reason why you just stubbed your toe against a rusty nail.
So hate me.
I was born black.
This trait out of my control but unlike the lady born with a third nipple, I cannot hide it. As I look around to the masses, these ants from up above moved with precision and order, begin to scatter. Different skin tones, means different treatments but as my Sociology professor would say, a ‘racial hierarchy’. Another word that I hate the existence of.
To accept the kid with the abnormal birthmark on his face, don’t laugh or comment because he was born that way. So Why Does The Uncontrollable Color Of A Person’s Skin Define Their Placement And Treatment In This World? “God Made Everyone In His Image And Likeness”. But I guess not everyone believes in God so for those of you who are all about logic, think. Does it make sense to be mad at the person sitting next to you because they were born with red hair? It doesn’t affect you in any way so why the fuck do the words ‘racism’, ‘discrimination’, and ‘racial hierarchy’ exist?
Turned This Stupidity.
Into A Real Problem.
It doesn’t just start and stop with the color of a person’s skin. These words are for my Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans, Women, Muslims, Jews, Protestants, Gays, Lesbians, Transgenders, In-Betweens, Interaccials, People Born With Disabilities, Anybody and Everybody who have felt that being yourself is never enough. Love you for you because the same people throwing stones have a problem with themselves.
So little ants scurry, be free and scurry. Provide the example for the human race that we can live in perfect harmony. The differences of the world should build up the ant hill and not be the rain that washes it away.
I have quite a lot of trouble speaking English and finally, I’ll admit that the reason why is because English is not my first language. Clarissanese is my native tongue, spoken in Clarissa World. So to all the people who correct how I talk on a daily basis, there is no sense trying to correct nineteen years of thinking/speaking but here is a little dictionary to help you understand what I am saying.
Ax = Ask
Tar-J = Target
Fox Hawk = Faux Hawk
Dunkies = Dunkin Donuts
Rico Suave = Fly, Swagged out
Batty Manzel = Dragonfly
My B = Sorry
Yo = Yes, Hello
A. True = Yes, Affirmative
^Above phrase is sometimes shortened…
A = True, Yes, Affirmative.
B. False = No, Negative
^Above phrase is sometimes shortened…
B = False, No, Negative
Last four terms are usually used for questions that call for a yes or no answer.
Bro Bro = Brother
Ugly Toe = Father
Aye = Stop
Smn = Shaking my naps (also part of Tiffanese from Tiffany Mills World)
Smf = Shaking my fro
Liberry = Library
____ my foot = Yea, right. (Sarcasm)
Yah killin me = Listen, Don’t do that.
Outtie like a belly button = I’m leaving
Leggo = Get psyched/pumped
Synonym = Cinnamon
Same = Synonym
You Good = It’s fine.
You feel me? = You understand?
Wah yah say? = What was that?
I don’t like you = Please, stop talking/Stop teasing me.
Here comes the Calvary = Here comes a lot of people, usually said when these people are really loud.
I’m Starving like Marvin = I’m really hungry.
You don’t have to tell me twice = Yes, I know.
You’re slow like molasses = Hurry the fuck up.
Greenish Brown Female Sheep…I defined this one on Urban Dictionary so y’all can look this one up. This term is a special one, you’re lucky if I say this to you.
There are many other words that I say differently and other weird phrases I use to say things but I think this is a good start to the introduction of Clarissanese. I would be very surprised if I met anyone who spoke the same language as me. Is there any such person out there?
People usually make a bucket list of all the things they want to do before they die. In the completion of their list, or at least some of the items on the list, people feel like they have lived a full life. People usually associate bucket lists with old people and the movie with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. Well this post is aimed to redefine the meaning of a ‘bucket list’ (even though the name speaks for itself).
I’ve been at Penn for 1 year and 1/4 of a whole school year and I am already thinking of stuff I want to do before I graduate. Some of these ideas might seem weird to people but you know that deep down inside you were thinking the same thing. These goals are in no particular order.
Things in red signify things I have done already.
Things in pink signify things I did but under different circumstances.
50 Things To Do Before I Graduate
1. Make more than $333 in one semester through Behavioral Labs.
2. Eat at every Steven Starr restaurant.
- Butcher and Singer
- El Rey
- Barclay Prime
- Alma de Cuba
- El Vez
- Continental Mid-Town
- Fette Sau
- Frankford Hall
- Granite Hill
- Il Pittore
- Pizzeria Stella
- Route 6
- Talula’s Garden
- The Dandelion
- Square Burger
3. Eat at every Penn Dining Hall in one day.
4. Walk from Rodin College House to DRL within 7 minutes or less, during class hours. The heavy congestion on Locust will make this one challenging.
5. Rock Climb at Pottruck.
6. Start a Student Club.
7. Catch a Squirrel.
8. Try every flavor of pizza at Allegro’s.
- Ground Beef
- BBQ Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken
- Allegro White
- Philly Steak
9. Break out in Rap and/or Poetry during a Lecture of more than 100 people.
10. Be an Elevateer in one of the highrise elevators for a day.
11. Perform on campus.
12. Meet Amy Gutmann.
13. Miss a class for sleep. Never done this in my life, I feel too guilty if I skip.
14. Be the Quaker mascot for a day.
15. Dive off the highest diving board at Potrruck.
16. To finish an unlimited meal plan.
17. Understand Greek Life/the names of the different fraternities and sororities.
18. Study abroad in Italy.
19. Eat at Shake Shack.
20. Sleep under the button. After some cleaning and sanitation.
21. Eat at Bobby’s Burger Palace.
22. Play Steelpan on College Green.
23. Teach more than one person Clarissanese.
24. Do laundry in a Highrise or other dorms for free without getting caught.
25. Take a picture in the lap of the Ben Frank in front of College Hall.
26. Eat at the Mini Trini food cart downtown.
27. Utilize Huntsman as a study space. Possibly for one of my all nighters…
28. Film a Philly street fight and get it up on WorldStar.
29. Get into Blarney’s and Smoke’s before May 17th, 2013. That’s my birthday…
30. Pull three all nighters in a row.
31. Eat sushi from Fresh Grocer. The last time I did that, I had food poisoning for a week…
32. Eat from every food cart on campus.
33. Compete and final at Ivies for swimming.
34. Spend the night in the Sheraton.
35. Try every flavor of Smoothies at Pottruck.
36. What would happen if someone attempts to walk out of Van Pelt with a book in their bags? Those security guards don’t really check… (I checked out a book, didn’t leave the library until an hour later, put the book in my bag and didn’t take it out of my bag when I walked out)
37. Participate in a Flash Mob on campus, but not one of those Philly thief ones or the fighting ones.
38. Answer the question: which cheesesteak is better, Geno’s or Pat’s?
39. Jump off the Walnut Street Bridge into the Schuylkill River and go for a swim.
40. Spend the night at the Inn at Penn.
41. Get on Franklin Field during Penn Relays and meet the Trinidadian Track Team.
42. Make a half court shot and/or backwards shot during the basketball game’s mini-games.
43. Be front row during the big Spring Fling show. Possibly get on stage.
44. Get a tattoo.
45. Squat more than the smallest weights coach at Franklin Field.
46. Avoid walking over the pedestrian bridge by Commons for a week.
47. Have a life conversation with 80 cent man. I really want to know his story…
48. Ride the bike of Penn Security Officer. Don’t ask me where the officer would be/how I get the bike.
49. Get featured in and/or write an article for the DP.
50. Eat at every place that accepts Penn Dining Dollars.
Well here is my list. I actually started compiling it last year so some of the things I have already completed but I still have a lot more left to do. Will you help me complete my list?
I’m Sick And Tired
I. Am. Sick. And. Tired.
I’m tired of calling myself a black person, while society calls me a nigger.
Getting labeled for wearing my Scarlet letter all over my skin.
But I guess it’s okay cause my favorite rapper, nicki the ninja, the harajuku Barbie, nicki minaj uses the term
Co-signed by that so called ‘New Orleans Nigga’, lil tunechi, lil wayne, weezy f baby
Going beyond the rap scene of hov’s, jigga’s, jay z’s ‘Nigga what, nigga who’
Exchanging the –er for an –a but just because you change how it’s spelled don’t make it any better.
But I guess these ppl really don’t give a fuck what you call them,
Hence they have so many variations.
Just so sick of turning a nigga into a positive term
Making it stand for an acronym
Never Ignorant Getting Goals Accomplished
But Pac, Tupac is dead; he should have taken the word with him.
With Media keeping up that nigger image like they do the kardashians.
Vomiting at the site of hip hop videos that can’t go w/out showing
A lil ass, flashing a gun, or making it rain.
Tired of kids minds going to waste,
Digression rather than progression,
A race becoming dumber,
All part of this ‘nigga’ mentality.
Where being a ‘Boy N Da Hood’ is better than being that educated black man.
Knowing the lyrics to every track on tha Carter 4 is all current events you need to know.
Forget the civil war in Libya, while the whole world is waiting to see a white flag
The opposing colors red and blue fight their own war right here.
Brothers killing brothers, or they would say it, niggas killing niggas
Yea, the nigga mentality.
I. Am. Sick. And. Tired.
Tired of ignorant black people, using a word another race defined
Say it a 100 times in the morning, it makes the teeth whiter
But Mr Paul Mooney this ain’t a laughing matter
2nd grade they called me a nigga,
Lift up my fist and punched them dead in the nose
Then they called me a freak, huh well
I rather be called a freak, Marilyn Manson, Flava Flav then be called a nigga.
Derogatory towards our ancestors getting whipped and chained together
A slave is a nigga
But slaves don’t exist anymore
Niggas. Still. Do.
Tried to do away with the term by any means possible,
Freedom Riders, MLK, civil rights movement
Existed so I could go through this world w/out be called a nigga.
But its still prevalent, haunting the black race, skeletons in our closets
Where are the nelson mandela’s of the world?
The asa-laka-lakems, Malcolm X’s of the world?
A race waiting on the next black revolutionary like the 2nd coming of Christ,
But I’m tired of waiting.
Sad to see an overall race not,
knowing better, doing better, hoping better.
The only thing left to do is look into the eyes of the same person calling me a nigga.
Lift down my fist and tell them,
I. Am. Sick. And. Tired
But. I. Forgive. You.
You Know You’re An UPenn Student…
1. If these are the sequence of your night festivities…
- Get Dressed
- Go To Party And Drink Some More
- Go to Wawa, Allegros, or McDonalds
- Go to bed (yours or someone else’s)
2. If you carry around a half gallon bottle of ice tea to drink from throughout the day.
3. If you lose your PennCard at least 3 times per semester.
4. If you know what Fro Gro is.
5. If partying nights start on Wednesday and end on Monday. Yes, Tuesday night is when you rest.
6. If you’ve had a bed bug, cockroach, or mice problem in your room. Possibly all three.
7. If you’ve gotten lost on the SEPTA or L at least once.
8. If you get mad when someone asks you if you go to Penn State.
9. If it is normal to you to see squirrels doing some freaky shit.
10. If you’ve taken Math 104 or 103, a Writing Seminar and/or Econ 001 in your first two semesters at Penn.
11. If you don’t know where the Rotunda is.
12. If you submit writing seminar assignments between 11:56 and 11:59PM.
13. If you know what ABP stands for.
14. If you’ve tried to avoid walking up the foot bridge on Locust as much as possible.
15. If while giving directions you use the terms: ‘love statue’, ‘dueling tampons’, ‘the button’, ‘college green’, ‘ben franklin’; as distinguishable landmarks.
16. If you use the handicap button for the doors on the second floor of Williams instead of pushing the door.
17. If you’ve experienced the lights being turned on and off in Van Pelt, as the upstairs part begins to close. They expect you to be packing up your stuff, while it’s pitch black dark.
18. If you sleep through a recitation or show up for the last ten minutes of it.
19. If you think it’s fun to throw toast on the football field and that’s the only reason why you would be at Franklin Field.
20. If you disregard the multiple listservs, even if the content pertains to you. You rather ask someone questions in person or send them an email than reading a listserv.
21. If you know what UTB is and use it as your main gossip website.
22. When you ask the complete stranger sitting near you in Van Pelt to watch your stuff while you go to the bathroom or to the stacks so it doesn’t get stolen, even though that person may be the one to steal it.
23. If you can’t remember NSO and/or Spring Fling.
Boi, do I love it here
I Know It’s Tough
Success as rare as a lunar eclipse.
The world pulls us down as we try to rise.
The stereotypes we must fight,
Black women, come together, unite
We must stand our ground and fight
Just because we were born black and not white?
Black women are a unique breed,
That is currently being overtaken by the weeds,
In the garden called life.
Who’ll be the one to cut the overgrowth with a knife?
Water the flowers who have lived through the strife?
Colors vibrant, bright, and keen
Flowers, Black women, yes, you are Queens.
And no other word in between.
Not hoe, trick, or bitch
Said in a strong, demeaning pitch
This damaging attitude needs to switch.
But you show respect,
In order to get respect.
So no more niggers and negroes,
Just brothers who understand how being black in this world goes.
Some white men might not agree with my prose
But the truth I speak, the truth I write
I can’t ignore the things in my sight
A black woman is more than a baby mama,
One day, I hope to see thousands of women like Michelle Obama.
Using their brain to change this world.
Being role models for black little girls.
Until then, the struggle will continue on
Being transferred to the struggles of our spawn
Just remember to keep that head up
And to own that so called voluptuous butt.